Best Firm Mattressesby | Last Updated
I’m sure many of you will agree with me when I say these firm mattresses are the best, especially if you have any back issues.
But the thing is finding a good firm mattress, the one that doesn’t feel like a concrete and doesn’t make you hurt all over, is hard and requires a lot of time.
To save you from headaches and from wasting your money on unsuitable mattresses, I want to share with you top 5 firm mattresses that have a potential to give you the sleep of your dreams.
Let’s see which one can be the best firm mattress for you.
|Name||Type||Construction||Warranty and Trial||Price (Queen Size)||Rating|
|Alexander Signature Series by Nest Bedding||Memory foam||6’ high-density base layer;|
3” SmartFlow foam;
2” gel memory foam.
|100-night sleep trial;|
|Saatva||Coil + memory foam||7” steel coil base;|
4” individually wrapped coil system;
1” memory foam lumbar support layer;
2” euro pillow cushioning layer;
5” dual edge foam support system.
|120-night no-penalty trial;|
|Amerisleep||Memory foam||7” proprietary Bio-Core support layer;|
2” Bio-Pur cooling layer.
|Check Price on Amazon|| |
|Helix||Proprietary foam + coil||4.5” base proprietary Dynamic Foam layer;|
2” individually pocketed micro coils;
2” high-grade poly-foam top layer.
|100-night sleep trial;|
|Loom and Leaf||Memory foam||5.5” dual high-density base layer;|
2” transition layer;
2.5” visco-elastic memory foam top layer;
2” additional cooling gel layer, located in the spinal area.
Alexander Signature Series by Nest Bedding
Let’s take a look at its construction:
- The base layer is a 6” thick high-density supportive layer.
- The middle layer is 3” thick. It’s the proprietary Firm SmartFlow foam that provides support and allows the airflow to circulate freely through the mattress, helping you sleep cool.
- The top layer is 2” thick gel memory foam. It contributes greatly to the cooling effect and releases pressure from your body pressure points.
- The quilted cover is made of their special Thermic Phase Change Cooling Fabrics. It is soft and pleasant to the touch; plus, it’s breathable and helps you sleep cool.
In terms of firmness, I would say it’s 8 on a scale from 1 to 10. Thanks to the top gel layer, the mattress’s surface is bouncy and responsive. I feel like even heavier sleepers won’t sink into it that much.
“A great mattress doesn’t always have to be super firm, but it certainly has to support the right body parts properly.”
Overall, I have no complaints about this mattress whatsoever. I would recommend it to someone who experiences back pain and doesn’t usually sleep on their side. If you hate sleeping hot, this mattress will be a great option for you. It’s also suitable for couples, as it doesn’t allow too much of a motion transfer.
Saatva is another best firm mattress you should consider. The manufacturer offers different levels of firmness (the hardest ones are Luxury Firm and Firm), so you’ll have options to choose from. I decided to test the Firm model and I wasn’t disappointed.
Here’s what’s hiding inside:
- The steel coil base support layer.
- The comfort layer with the coils wrapped individually. It contours your body without making you feel like you’re sinking into it.
- The lumbar support layer, which is a memory foam layer that makes for pressure relief.
- The euro pillow top layer, which is made of cushioning materials and provides additional comfort.
- The dual foam edge support system. It allows you to have more sleeping space.
- The cover is made of cotton and hypoallergenic fibers. It’s soft, natural, and breathable.
On a scale from 1 to 10, the Saatva Firm model rates 7.5-8. Because it has a comfort pillow top placed under the cover, it doesn’t feel too firm, even though it has coils in its construction.
The Saatva mattress is an awesome option for people who want a luxurious construction for a reasonable price. It will suit solo sleepers more, as the motion isolation levels aren’t that high. It doesn’t sleep hot and supports the spine properly.
Amerisleep, another candidate to become the best firm mattress, features two firmness options. I picked the hardest one, the AS1 (which used to be called Americana). The company’s reputation and Amerisleep firm mattresses reviews of thousands of other people prove that this model deserves to be among the best.
Let’s see what it’s made of:
- The proprietary Bio-Core support layer, which is partially made of a plant-based material, making it a more eco-friendly option.
- The Bio-Pur cooling layer. It is breathable and has an open-cell structure, which allows the air to circulate freely and take the heat away from you.
- The high-performance cover, which is made of the proprietary Celliant fabric and includes 13 thermo-reactive minerals.
Its firmness level is 8 on a scale from 1 to 10, which makes it a perfect option for back or stomach sleepers. The cooling effect it provides is average, but the overall comfort is rather pleasing.
“The majority of doctors recommend replacing your mattress for a new one every 8 years. They also suggest you turn your mattress clockwise to avoid sagging and ensure the supportive qualities of your bed.”
In general, the AS1 can become the most comfortable mattress for you. You will definitely like it if you appreciate extra support and the perfect middle amount of cushioning.
Helix would be the best firm mattress for people who want their mattress to meet their expectations. You see, the manufacturer builds a customized mattress for each buyer. Before ordering, you need to take a quiz, basing on which your mattress will be built.
You probably won’t be surprised when I say that I wanted to get a firm model. So, let’s see what it has to offer:
- The base Dynamic Foam layer, which is the proprietary Helix material that feels like something between memory foam and latex.
- Individually pocketed micro coils, which provide good pressure relief, create a bouncy feel, and distribute the body weight evenly. They also reduce the motion transfer.
- The high-grade poly-foam top layer. This layer can vary in density depending on the support level and firmness that you want. In my case, it was very supportive and responsive.
On the firmness scale, my Helix would rate 9 out of 10. Let me calm you down right away:
It doesn’t feel like a hardwood floor.
To be honest, it lacks some extra cushioning But overall, it was comfortable for me.
Overall, I found my Helix to be very comfortable. It’s a great option for people who want a personal touch when picking a mattress. If you’re not afraid to take a small risk, chances are you’re going to love this mattress.
Loom and Leaf
Is Loom and Leaf the best firm mattress? Well, it’s certainly one of the best. Made by Saatva, it comes in two options: Relaxed Firm and Firm (I decided to test the Firm option). The manufacturer claims that the mattress will feel comfortable in any position, and I found that to be true. That’s why Loom and Leaf is on this list: despite its firmness, it is comfortable for multiple sleeping positions.
“According to statistics, innerspring mattresses are sold the most in America, but they receive the lowest ratings in terms of the overall satisfaction.”
Now, let’s move on to the most important part, the construction:
- The dual high-density base layer plays a supportive role and has special airflow channels to provide a cooling effect.
- The 2” transition layer.
- The top layer, which is viscoelastic memory foam, contours the body but doesn’t allow it to sink in deep.
- The cooling gel layer, located in the spinal area, which provides additional back support and helps you sleep cool. I found this component very comfortable and effective.
- The cotton cover is organic, hypoallergenic, and breathable.
In terms of firmness, this model would rate 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. It is very responsive and bouncy, but at the same time it allows your body to sink in just enough to release pressure from the pressure points. I don’t know about you, but to me, that sounds extremely comfortable.
One mattress can’t suit everyone, but Loom and Leaf is a great option for many people. I would recommend it if you want great support and hate sleeping hot. It’s also great for couples, as the motion isolation levels are quite high.
To choose the best firm mattress, I had to do my research and test (I mean, sleep) a lot. The main criteria I paid my attention to were:
- the overall comfort in multiple sleeping positions;
- back support;
- pressure relief;
- company’s reputation;
- trial periods and guarantees;
Why Sleep on a Firm Mattress
If you’re in search of the best firm mattress, you should know about the benefits it can provide and what it can do for your body.
It’s been scientifically proven that too much cushioning can’t keep your spine in a neutral position and support it properly. The moderately firm mattress provides support for your spine and helps it align correctly in any sleeping position.
Also, when sleeping, your bones need to have some resistance to them and bear the most pressure. This allows the muscles, veins, and arteries to relax, which leads to a better blood circulation and simply helps you sleep well.
It’s always a good idea to consult your doctor before getting a firm mattress, especially if you’ve been sleeping on a soft one for years or have some health issues. It’s hard to transition from a soft bed to a firm one. Plus, some back illnesses don’t require a firm surface, so make sure to talk to your doctor first.
You’re probably wondering “So, which one is the best firm mattress?” In my opinion, it’s the Alexander Signature Series mattress by Nest Bedding. I’m not saying that it’s a perfect mattress for everyone (none of them are), but I was really sold on the combination of its great qualities. It’s very comfortable. It’s designed by a professional who’s been selling mattresses for over 20 years. It sleeps cool. And, most importantly, it provides excellent support for the spine. It might take you some time to adjust to its firmness, but it will be totally worth it.
Which one do you think will be the most supportive and suitable for your body type? Are you used to sleeping on firm mattresses, or is it something you are only planning to try? Let us know in the comments!
Product links on Happysleepyhead are referral. We get a commission on purchases made through our links. More information in my disclosures.