The 8 Best Memory Foam Mattresses for everybody in 2017-2018by | Last Updated
I think you’ll agree with the fact that receiving a good night’s sleep is vital for leading a happy, healthy lifestyle. During the day, the body has to deal with a lot of stress that needs to be relieved while we sleep.
It’s essential to purchase a mattress designed for providing you with the needed rest.
But what type of mattresses suits this purpose the best?
Those made of memory foam, of course!
They are more comfortable, offer superior pressure relief, and excel at relaxing your mind and body.
Lucky for you, I’ve prepared a list of 8 best memory foam mattresses that will definitely change the way you sleep!
- Best Mattress for Weight Distribution
- Best Value Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Eco-Friendly Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Trial Offer for a Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Memory Foam Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Pressure Relief
- Best Cheap Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Cooling Memory Foam Mattress
|Name of the Company||Layers||Warranty and Trial||Rating|
10-Year Limited Warranty
|Eight the Jupiter +||Responsive Foam Layer|
Transition Foam Layer
Support Base Layer
|100-Night Full Refund|
10-Year Limited Warranty
|Loom and Leaf||Cooling Gel Foam|
15-Year Limited Warranty
|Nectar||Tencel Cooling Cover|
Quilted Gel Memory Foam
Gel Memory Foam
Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam
Breathable Base Layer
|365-Night Home Trial|
Infinite Limited Warranty
|Alexander Signature Series||Comfort Layer|
Lifetime Limited Warranty
10 Year Warranty
|Live and Sleep||Top Comfort Layer|
20 Year Limited Warranty
Air Flow Layer
Best Mattress for Weight Distribution
Here are the defining characteristics of this mattress:
- The cover is easily removable and can be cleaned without damaging the rest of the mattress.
- The top open-cell layer makes the mattress breathable and offers awesome air ventilation.
- The memory foam is very durable and doesn’t lose its properties even after months of active usage.
- The company offers a solid try-out period with a free return option.
Casper’s absolute best characteristic is its firmness and how well it deals with weight distribution. The manufacturer managed to design the mattress in such a way that the surface under your hips is firmer, while the shoulders and neck are resting on a softer spot. It felt really comfortable sleeping like that. I should admit I was able to wake up in the morning without any back pain at all.
The most disappointing thing I’ve noticed about this item was the initial odor. It was quite chemical, and it took a couple of hours before my room became breathable again. This is a common issue with memory foam mattresses, so I knew I just had to wait. After a couple of days, the off-gassing was gone completely.
“Modern memory foam is a moldable material that reacts to the temperature and weight of the person lying on it. That means that such mattresses shift to fit the shape of your body. They are also known to possess strong antibacterial and moisture wicking properties.”
Casper offered me everything I wanted from a memory foam mattress. It’s durable, comfortable to lie on, quite inexpensive, and great for heavier people. Moreover, it helped me get rid of the back pains that haunted me with my old innerspring mattress.
Best Value Memory Foam Mattress
Eight the Jupiter+
I’ve never been so wrong!
Not only is the tracker incredibly useful, but the mattress as a whole offers the best value for the buck on the market! Jupiter+ has all the advantages of memory foam and an arrangement of technological features.
The primary specifications of this mattress include:
- The tracker enables you to check your heartbeat and respiratory system. This data allows you to improve your sleeping schedule.
- The mattress enables you to set different temperatures on different sides of the bed to suit the needs of both partners.
- Contains four layers with the top one being made of thick latex-like foam.
- Jupiter+ is medium firm. It offers moderate sinkage and sufficient support for the back and shoulders.
Funnily enough, the “worst” feature of the Jupiter+ is also its greatest strength. The Sleeper Tracker offers you such broad functionality that I don’t even know where to begin. From following your heart-rate to controlling the temperature and changing between Day and Night settings, the potential is truly limitless.
It gets even better:
You can use the tracker via your smartphone. Just download the app, and enjoy supreme control!
When I got over my prejudice towards the Sleeper Tracker, it can still be an off-putting feature for some. If you aren’t tech-savvy, then having to deal with all the excess settings and functions can become a burden for you.
The Jupiter+ is the perfect choice if you’re looking for a mattress with state-of-the-art tech features. My wife and I especially appreciated the ability to set the temperature differently on both sides of the bed. Add to that all the other functionality of the Sleeper Tracker, and you have the ultimate memory foam mattress on your hands!
Best Eco-Friendly Memory Foam Mattress
Loom and Leaf
The Loom and Leaf mattress deserves to be called a top rated memory foam mattress for a number of reasons. It offers a high level of comfort, has a sturdy 4-layer structure, and comes with an organic cotton cover. This mattress provided me with the necessary back support and was comfortable enough to lull me into dreamland.
Let’s take a look at the defining features of this model:
- Loom and Leaf has a natural cotton cover that is very pleasing to the touch and completely safe for your health.
- The mattress comes with a special cooling gel panel for controlling the temperature while you’re sleeping.
- Two firmness options available (firm and relaxed firm), depending on your support needs.
- This brand hand-delivers all of its mattresses and sets them up for free.
The environmentally conscious manufacturing approach offered by this brand is the biggest advantage for me. I really appreciate the fact that this comfortable mattress was produced with organic cotton and has strong antibacterial properties. Moreover, the company’s primary factory runs on solar energy, further lessening the negative impact it has on the environment.
The aspect that disappointed me the most with Loom and Leaf was the subpar motion isolation. While this mattress still performed admirably (it is a memory foam model, after all), my wife woke up several times when I was getting up in the middle of the night. Moreover, the edge support is also weaker than in other similar mattresses.
Despite a couple of minor flaws, Loom and Leaf is a high-quality mattress. It allows you to enjoy luxury comfort and provides the support necessary for dealing with neck pain.
Best Trial Offer for a Memory Foam Mattress
Nectar deserves to be a contender for the title of the best memory foam mattress because it’s made of durable materials and has a sturdy construction. The company also offers a 1-year long trial. This fact demonstrates that Nectar strongly believes in the longevity of their products.
“It’s very important to look at the length of the trial period when you’re purchasing a mattress. It isn’t easy to find the right fit, and it’s impossible to tell if a mattress suits you just by sleeping on it for a few nights. In fact, a lot of people realize that a particular mattress doesn’t fulfill their needs even after a month of everynight usage.”
Here are the most notable characteristics of this mattress:
- Nectar comes in several sizes.
- The mattress is medium firm, which is ideal for finding the balance between weight support and softness.
- The item offers temperature control that keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Nectar is made of materials that guarantee you’ll never have to deal with dust mites.
- The cover has a nice silky feel to it, making the firmness more enjoyable.
The coolest thing about Nectar is its pain relief capability. The firmness offered by the mattress is enough for supporting my back, while the shoulder and neck area sinks deeper, allowing me to relax. Whether I’ve slept on my back or side, I woke up pain-free and revitalized.
The most unpleasant aspect of this mattress is the off-gassing. I have a rather sensitive nose, and the first few hours after unpacking the mattress were hard to deal with. However, after I’ve ventilated the room for several hours, most of the odor dissipated.
Nectar is a great mattress all-round. It especially excels at treating back pain thanks to the support offered by the extra-dense foam layer. Moreover, the Nectar’s cover is made of woven fabric that provides the airflow needed for people living in hot areas.
Best Memory Foam Mattress for Side Sleepers
Alexander Signature Series
This model by Alexander is definitely the best memory foam mattress for side sleepers on this list. It’s made of thick memory foam and provided me with the hugging feel and spine support. Moreover, this brand offers several firmness options, allowing you to customize your sleeping experience.
“Memory foam mattresses are perfect for people who need additional support or have to deal with a bad spine. They excel at maintaining the right posture and horizontally aligning the back of side sleepers.”
Take a look at the most notable characteristics of this item:
- There are two firmness options available: medium firm and luxury firm. They are both situated in the middle of the firmness scale and are suitable for those who need sufficient support for their backs.
- All Alexander Signature mattresses have a height of 12.5” regardless of their firmness.
- One of the layers is a high-density memory gel base needed for providing satisfying air filtration and maintaining the right surface temperature.
- This mattress has great motion isolation, which is ideal for couples.
The absolute best thing about this mattress is how comfortable it is for side sleepers. I usually sleep on my side so my mattress needs to be firm to support my posture as well as plush enough to deal with back pain. Thankfully, the Alexander Medium suits my needs perfectly.
That’s not it. Stomach sleepers will be happy to hear that there’s a Luxury Firm mattress, which is softer and perfectly suited for this sleeping style.
The thing that disappointed me about this model the most is that it isn’t entirely made of natural materials. While Alexander does offer 100% organic mattresses as well, they are even more expensive than this one.
The Alexander Signature Medium mattress is a top-rated model that offers an excellent firmness-to-comfort ratio. It provides terrific spine support while sinking just enough so that it’s comfortable to lie on the side.
Best Mattress for Pressure Relief
Leesa incorporates all the best characteristics of an all-foam mattress. It combines superior back support and pressure relief with durability. Moreover, Leesa excels at shifting to fit the shape of your body for ideal weight distribution.
Now, let’s examine the primary features of this mattress:
- It has three main layers (Cooling Foam, Memory Foam, and Dense Core). Each has its function and serves to provide a cool, stress-relieving sleeping experience.
- The cover of the mattress looks stylish and is made of a single piece of material. It’s also quite thick and woven professionally.
- It is a medium firm model (6 out of 10). It hits the perfect balance between being firm and soft.
- It’s available in a wide range of sizes and the prices are some of the lowest on the market.
The biggest drawback of this mattress is that Leesa isn’t well-suited for stomach sleepers. It’s better than a traditional innerspring model, but not quite what I’ve expected. This is especially true if you’re heavyweight since the mattress will probably prove to be too firm for you.
The greatest strength of Leesa is its layer construction. Thanks to the bottom layer, this mattress offers better support than similar models. Meanwhile, the top layer has a nice cooling effect. I’ve greatly enjoyed being lulled to sleep by Leesa and waking up in the morning. Night sweats are never a thing with this mattress!
Leesa is a good mattress suitable for people who want a balanced feel. It’s neither too soft nor too firm and is perfect for dealing with bottled-up stress if you’re a side sleeper. Moreover, this mattress offers a nice amount of sinkage and shapes around your body very well.
Best Cheap Memory Foam Mattress
Classic Mattress by Live and Sleep
This mattress by Live and Sleep offers great quality for a very attractive price. This model is perfect if you want to enjoy the benefits of memory foam without spending all of your life savings on a mattress.
Let’s take a look at the defining traits of the best cheap memory foam mattress:
- In terms of firmness, the Classic is rated roughly 4.5-5 out of 10. This means it’s softer than most similar models due to the all-foam construction.
- The top layer of the mattress is a knit cover that offers a pleasuring tactile sensation.
- The second layer is 2.5” of memory foam that is needed for adding the bounce to the mattress.
- The bottom layer of this mattress is 7”5 inches tall. It’s the support base that adds firmness to the entire construction and supports your weight without sinking.
The biggest drawback I’ve experienced with this mattress is the temperature regulation. I don’t like sleeping on a hot bed, and I’ve found myself waking up in sweat in the middle of the night several times. While the Classic is great at absorbing moisture, the cover was a bit too warm for my taste.
The thing I’ve loved the most about this mattress is the plush feel it offers. Live and Sleep Classic is noticeably softer than other mattresses I’ve tried. I particularly enjoyed sleeping on my stomach thanks to the deeper sinking. That being said, it still has enough support due to the 7” base that prevented me from being “sucked in” by the mattress.
“While some believe that a good mattress for dealing with back pain has to be firm, that isn’t always the case. In reality, the most important aspect you have to think about is stress point relief and spine alignment.”
The Classic mattress by Live and Sleep is the best cheap memory foam mattress for people who want a plush model with minimum motion transfer. It offers decent softness and support without sinking too much.
Best Cooling Memory Foam Mattress
Layla deserves to be called the best cooling memory foam mattress for several reasons. It’s the first model to introduce the combination of copper with memory foam. I’m glad to say that this is the coolest mattress I’ve ever tried! Also, Layla has two firmness levels that are possible thanks to a flippable structure.
Let’s examine the most important features of this item:
- Layla has copper infused layers on both sides. They make the mattress two-sided and provide the cooling effect this item is known for.
- The second layer is made of support foam used for providing airflow and softness.
- The third layer is 4.5” of foam used for providing the core support and firmness of the mattress.
- Layla is made without harmful chemical components and doesn’t possess any off-putting odors.
The biggest drawback of Layla is probably its thickness. While the height of 10 inches was enough for my wife and me, anyone who weighs over 250 pounds won’t find enough support with this mattress. This is especially true for the edges which are weaker than in most memory foam models.
The best thing about this mattress is definitely the temperature control. Having a cool mattress is essential for me, as nights are very hot here, where I live. Layla kept me chilled and fresh through the night. This is possible thanks to the thermogel cover which is also very pleasing to the touch.
Layla is the best option if you want a mattress with different firmness levels. Both sides offer a unique feeling, so it’s easier to find your sweet spot. Moreover, the double-sided thermogel layers will ensure that you rest in a cool, revitalizing environment that will help your body relax through the night.
Factors We Look At
Testing the characteristics of a mattress isn’t easy. There are a lot of aspects you have to consider before making a decision. While it is up to your personal preference in the end, here are the factors I think are the most important for determining the quality of such a mattress:
- Price. The price of a mattress will always be one of its most important aspects. Even though some people feel inclined to always go for the highest or lowest price tag, in reality, there are a lot of high-quality midrange options available.
- Layers. While most memory foam mattresses have a similar layer structure, their number and thickness can still differ greatly. As a result, the cooling properties and firmness of each mattress are unique.
- Firmness. Most mattresses rank 4 to 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale since manufacturers try to develop an option that will please everyone. However, if you need a particularly plush or hard mattress, such models are available as well.
- Odor. A plague that haunts a lot of memory foam mattresses is the off-gassing. Thankfully, there are more and more models appearing that manage to deal with this problem successfully.
- Thickness. The height of the mattress determines the level of support you receive as well as the height of your bed.
- Cooling effect. One of the biggest complaints people have about sleeping is that it can be too hot. That’s why mattress manufacturers implement various temperature control solutions so that you can sleep in a cool environment.
Questions You Need to Answer Before Buying a Mattress
Choosing a mattress isn’t all about studying its technical specifications. When searching for a top rated memory foam mattress, you also have to ask yourself the following questions:
Is it really the time to replace your current mattress?
If your mattress is 8 years old or really worn out, then you should do yourself the service of buying a new one. This is also true if your current bed is causing back pains.
What is your budget?
Allocating the right amount of money for a mattress isn’t easy. In most cases, the $650-$1100 price range is the sweet spot for finding a high-quality model that offers all the benefits you need.
What is your favorite sleeping position?
The answer to this question should determine the firmness of your mattress. Thus, side sleepers should search for 4 to 6 options, stomach sleepers need a 5 to 7, and back sleepers require a 4 to 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale.
Here’s the deal:
If you don’t buy a mattress with the appropriate level of firmness, your bed will either be too hard or too soft, and you won’t get the relaxing rest you deserve.
What is your weight and body build?
The bigger your weight, the more support you need from the mattress. It’s generally recommended to not buy a memory foam model if you’re over 250 lbs.
The Pros and Cons of Buying a Memory Foam Mattress
Memory foam mattresses are rising in popularity with each passing year. As with all things in life, they have their fair share of benefits as well as drawbacks.
The most notable pros include:
- Motion isolation. Unlike traditional mattresses, those built with memory foam allow you to avoid disturbing your partner when you’re getting out of bed or moving. That is why memory foams are usually recommended for couples.
- Pressure reduction. Lying on an innerspring mattress is hard on your body. You feel sore, uncomfortable, and it can be hard to fall asleep. Memory foam, on the other hand, takes the pressure away and cradles you into sleep.
- Pain Reduction. If you’re suffering from back, shoulder, or neck pain, the relaxing firmness of a memory foam mattress will make your nights easier.
- Durability. Since memory foam has a higher resistance to impressions, such mattresses last for far longer than innerspring models.
Memory foam isn’t perfect. The advantages of this material come at a price. The most notable cons of such mattresses include:
- Heat Retention. Previously, memory foams were known to get really hot in the night and make it unbearable to sleep in a warm room. And yet, a lot of brands today use special gels and foams to add a cooling effect and negate this drawback, so it’s not much of a drawback anymore.
- Off-gassing. Traditional memory foam is made with chemical components. Not only are they bad for the environment, they also cause the mattress to have an off-putting odor. Even though the smell usually goes away after a few days, it creates an unpleasant first impression.
- Weight. Thicker memory foams are quite heavy to lift and move around. You don’t need to do that often, but when you do, it’s a hassle.
Finding the perfect memory foam mattress that will offer you the ultimate relaxing sleeping experience is tough. Some models are too firm, others aren’t suitable for hot sleepers, and the rest don’t offer enough support.
Thankfully, each of the eight mattresses I’ve tried has greatly impressed me with its performance. However, there were two mattresses that stood out for me the most.
Want to know which ones?
Both these models offered me the most comfort and were extremely efficient at revitalizing my body. I’ve greatly enjoyed sleeping on these mattresses, and I’m sure you will too!
Now, I’d like to listen to your opinion:
What do you think is the best memory foam mattress and why?
Leave a comment and let me know!