How to Get Rid of Neck Painby | Last Updated
If you’re like me, then you know how much of a nuisance neck ache can be. Everything around you seems irritating, and you can’t stay focused. Sometimes, it seems almost impossible to get rid of neck pain.
But is it really that hard?
How to Get Rid of Neck Pain
It turns out that there are a lot of methods that allow you to end the suffering with ease…
…and today, I’m going to tell you what you can do to forget you had any problems with your neck!
What Causes Your Neck to Pain?
There are several reasons why your neck can start hurting. The most common case is when you’ve slept in an uncomfortable position that put extra stress on your neck and head, making you feel weak and broken in the morning.
“People that suffer from stiffness in their neck usually complain about feeling sore and having difficulty turning their heads. These symptoms are also paired with headaches and pain in shoulder and arm regions.”
It gets even worse:
Poor sleeping habits aren’t the only reason for you to deal with neck pain. This can also be the result of any of the following factors:
- You have a poorly organized workplace that has you working in an awkward position for hours on end. As a result, you damage your posture and strain your neck.
- The nature of your job keeps you sitting in your chair for most of the day and doesn’t allow you to get sufficient amounts of movement.
- Your job demands constant physical efforts. Living such a lifestyle puts your neck and shoulder muscles under a lot of pressure. Without proper care, this can lead to serious health problems and even cause osteochondrosis.
- You spend too much time looking down at your smartphone or tablet screen.
“About 85% of Americans have dealt with back or neck pain at least once in their lives.”
Such figures are concerning. And according to recent studies, the situation gets only worse as the years go by. That’s why now it’s more important than ever to know how to heal your neck and preserve your health in the future.
Remedies That Can Help You Get Rid of Neck Pain
If you have noticed some problems and are wondering how to get rid of neck pain, then you have to follow several recommendations:
- Take the pressure off your neck. If you don’t allow your muscles to rest, they won’t be able to recover. The easiest way to do so is to lie down on your back for a while. But don’t use a thick pillow, as it will only make your neck bend even further.
- “Freeze” the pain. Using an ice pack is an efficient way of “cooling” the neck and decreasing the inflammation. Just press it against your neck for about fifteen minutes, and you’ll feel a lot better.
- Warm your neck. Warmth regulates the blood circulation and can be an effective method for relaxing your neck muscles. Use a warm wet towel or a bottle filled with hot water. Alternatively, you can stand under a lukewarm shower for a while. This can help you lift up your spirits as well.
Important: Don’t keep your neck at high temperatures for too long, as an abundant amount of warmth may make the pain even more severe.
- Relax. Emotional stress is an important factor in building up muscle tension. Find out what increases your stress level. Are you always running late, or do you get angry when stuck in traffic? Does talking to your boss make you nervous? After you’ve closed in on the problematic issue, find a way to avoid such situations in the future.
“In most cases, a couple of days of relaxation is enough to allow your neck muscles to heal.”
If nothing else works:
Buy painkillers that are sold without a prescription. They will ease your pain and decrease the inflammation. If you’re allergic to medication like aspirin or ibuprofen, try taking acetaminophen to get rid of neck pain.
Lifestyle Advice to Prevent Neck Pain
Now that you know how to relieve neck pain, let’s talk about how to make sure you never suffer from this problem again. Here are a few tips you should consider.
Watch your figure and stay in shape. Excess weight overloads all the muscles in your body, including the ones located in your neck. The stronger and more agile you are, the lesser the chance that you’ll have to deal with neck pain. That’s why it’s recommended to have a fitness regime and take up swimming, as this type of exercise is especially effective in strengthening your spine and neck.
Take care of your posture. As long as our muscles are strong, they support the posture without too much effort. But as they get weaker, your posture gets worse. Your lower back leans forward, as does as your neck, as it constantly remains in a tense position.
You might be wondering now, “How do I improve my posture?”
To do so, press your back against a wall. Your heels should be about an inch away from it, and your shoulders and buttocks have to be touching the wall, as you keep your chin straight. Now, walk away from the wall and check your posture – this is how you should normally stand. Perform this exercise a couple of times during the day.
Work at eye level. If by the end of the workday, your neck feels sore, it’s a clear indication that your job is the source of the problem. People often sit at their desk with their head lowered down for several consecutive hours. To deal with this problem, place the computer screen higher or lower your chair to guarantee the right height.
It’s also important to take small breaks every hour to walk around for a couple of minutes so that your neck and eyes could rest.
“Nowadays, almost 50% of employees are affected by neck pain. Even though back pain is usually the bigger reason why people take time off work, neck injuries can have more serious consequences.”
Sleep on a firm mattress and appropriate pillows. If you wake up in the morning with an aching neck, then you should probably blame the bed and the pillow for your troubles. To get rid of morning pain, it’s recommended to use a firm, supportive mattress that will keep your spine and neck on the same level. Also, don’t sleep on pillows that are too firm or thick, as they don’t provide the right angle.
Also Read: The 7 Best Pillows For Neck Pain
Exercise your neck. Before approaching this task, warm up your neck with a wet towel or a quick shower. The key thing here is to do everything in a slow fashion:
- Sit down and relax.
- Turn your head to the right, return it to the neutral position and then turn your head to the left.
- Lower your chin to your chest, and then raise the head back up. Next, tilt your head to the right shoulder and then to the left one.
Perform these exercises three times per day, and repeat each movement five times.
Now get this:
If you follow this list of advice, your neck shouldn’t hurt anymore. However, if the pain stays strong for ten days or even longer, it’s highly recommended that you visit a doctor. This especially true if anything of the following happens:
- The pain in your neck is only getting stronger.
- The pain appeared as a result of an injury (a fall, a crash, or an accident).
- The pain is accompanied by chills or severe headaches.
- Your palms or hands get numb.
A professional will know how to deal with these symptoms and will prescribe you the right course of treatment.
So, here’s the deal:
Fighting neck pain is a two-sided battle. On the one hand, you have to take the necessary precautions to avoid this problem by creating the right working and sleeping conditions as well as leading a healthy lifestyle. On the other hand, if such an issue already exists and you want to get rid of neck pain, you have to relax, massage your neck, perform some exercises, or maybe even see a doctor.
Incorporate the aforementioned tips into your life, and you’ll keep your neck healthy and strong for years to come.
Product links on Happysleepyhead are referral. We get a commission on purchases made through our links. More information in my disclosures.