Best Mattress Protectorsby | Last Updated
Ah, who doesn’t love a nice, delicious breakfast in bed, with a cup of hot coffee and a glass of orange juice?
Sounds lovely, right?
And who doesn’t love trying to remove juice stains from a mattress costing $2,000?
No one. No one loves that.
So, to save your mattress from being soaked and you from emptying your wallet when buying a new one, I’ve gathered 7 top mattress protectors. Let’s see, which one can become the best safeguard for your bed.
Best Mattress Protectors
- Best Mattress Protectors
- Bear Protector
- Plushbeds Organic Cotton Mattress Protector
- Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Protector
- Nest Bedding Cooling Mattress Protector
- Bedical Care Superior Mattress Encasement
- Lucid Mattress Protector
- SafeRest Premium Mattress Protector
- Something You Should Be on the Alert For
- Polyurethane VS. Vinyl: Which One Is Better?
“A mattress protector, especially when it’s a waterproof one, will prolong the life of your mattress and prevent it from gathering dead skin cells, sweat, and other unpleasant bits and liquids. This way, you will also protect your mattress from mold, bacteria, or mildew, and will sleep in a clean and safe environment.”
|Bear Protector||Main panel: 100% polyester; waterproof lining: 100% polyurethane laminate; skirt: 80% cotton + 20% polyester||10 years|| |
|Plushbeds Organic Cotton Mattress Protector||Top and skirting: 100% organic cotton jersey; waterproof lining: micro-thin polyurethane||5 years|| |
|Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Protector||Cotton terry, polyurethane||10 years|| |
|Nest Bedding Cooling Mattress Protector||Top layer: 88% polyester + 12% nylon; waterproof lining: 100% thermoplastic polyurethane; skirt: 100% polyester||1 year|| |
|Bedical Care Superior Mattress Encasement||Surface: 100% cotton terry; waterproof lining: 100% polyurethane||15 years|| |
|Lucid Mattress Protector||100% cotton terry surface + the waterproof Stratosmart Barrier||15 years|| |
|SafeRest Premium Mattress Protector||Surface: 100% cotton terry; waterproof lining: 100% polyurethane||10 years|| |
Here’s what you need to know about it:
- It features the HeiQ Adaptive Fabric Technology, which makes the protector super breathable and moisture wicking.
- It can fit mattresses that are up to 20 inches thick.
- It is 100% waterproof.
- The materials used include polyester, polyurethane, and cotton.
- The manufacturer offers a 10-year warranty.
It is machine washable.
Overall, I’m very happy with this top rated waterproof mattress protector. It is soft, easy to clean, and does its job quite well.
Want to try it out? Click here to order!
Plushbeds Organic Cotton Mattress Protector
Let’s consider its main characteristics:
- The top layer and the skirting are made of organic cotton, which is GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certified and super soft to the touch.
- The waterproof layer is made of polyurethane, which is very thin and doesn’t make any noise.
- It can fit mattresses up to 14 inches thick.
The manufacturer offers a 5-year warranty.
This is official: I am now a fan of this mattress protector. It is very effective, safe to use, smooth to the touch, and odorless. I’m sure you will love it as much as I do.
Order now and see for yourself!
Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Protector
Let’s look at its characteristics:
- The cover fits the majority of mattresses perfectly.
- The surface of the cover is made of cotton terry, which is soft to the touch and breathable.
- The waterproof layer doesn’t crinkle or make any other noises.
It is machine washable and won’t be hard to clean.
“A mattress protector can also increase the comfort level of your bed. For instance, if you are sleeping on a foam mattress, which makes you feel hot every night, a breathable protector can help you with temperature regulation during sleep.”
Despite some minor complaints, I am quite happy with this cover. It does its job well, so I’m sure it won’t disappoint you either.
Ready to order? Don’t hesitate and click here!
Nest Bedding Cooling Mattress Protector
Look at its main features:
- It is made of the combination of polyester, nylon, and thermoplastic polyurethane.
- It works like a fitted sheet and is suitable for the mattresses up to 18 inches thick.
- It is machine washable and can be put in the dryer as well.
I must admit:
This top rated waterproof mattress protector managed to impress me. It’s not only waterproof but also cooling, which is a very compelling feature.
Want to test it out? Click here to order!
Bedical Care Superior Mattress Encasement
This mattress encasement deserves to be called the best mattress protector because it effectively guards all of the sides of the mattress.
Let’s see its main characteristics:
- It is made of cotton terry and waterproof polyurethane.
- This model is an encasement, which means it will cover all of the mattress sides and protect the mattress even from bed bugs.
- The zipper is 3-sided and hidden under the Velcro flap, which also stops the bed bugs from crawling inside.
It is machine washable and won’t cause you any troubles with cleaning.
“If you get cold during the night even under a blanket, a mattress protector might help you deal with this issue. There are many models that include thick layered fabrics or, for example, jacquard, which can help you stay warmer during the night and also add a plush feel to your mattress.”
What can I say? I am quite happy with this mattress encasement. It does its job well and can create a cleaner, safer environment for you to sleep in.
Order here and see for yourself!
Lucid Mattress Protector
Here’s what you need to know about it:
- The blanket comes in 9 sizes.
- It is made of soft and plush polyester.
In general, I am pretty happy with this cover’s performance. I’m sure it will effectively protect your mattress from major spills as long as those occur on the top of the protector.
Feel like this option is great for you? Click here to order!
SafeRest Premium Mattress Protector
Take a look at its main features:
- It is made of cotton and polyurethane, which allows it to retain liquids while being soft and pleasant to the touch.
- It features a fitted sheet design and is suitable for mattresses up to 18 inches thick.
- The manufacturer offers a 10-year warranty.
It is machine washable, which makes the cleaning process fuss-free.
“Keep in mind that your mattress protector must be regularly cleaned since it serves to protect the mattress from spills and stains. Therefore, go with a machine washable model as it will be much easier for you to take care of your mattress protector and keep it clean and odorless.”
Despite its minor flaws, this mattress protective cover made a good impression on me. It works and feels nice. Moreover, thanks to its design, trying to fit it onto the mattress won’t cause any troubles for you.
Want to see for yourself? Click here to order!
Something You Should Be on the Alert For
Listen, I know: shopping can either be pleasant or drive you insane. With the mattress covers, the second one is more possible. The number of the mattress protector reviews, specifications, and loud advertisements can overwhelm and even mislead you.
So, while filtering through all that information, pay attention to the most important factors you should consider when looking for the best mattress protector:
- Size. This criterion is obvious but nonetheless important. Some manufacturers make covers different in size, so, instead of simply ordering a Queen protector for a Queen mattress, read the measurements first. Just to be on the safe side.
- Breathability. Waterproof covers tend to sleep hot because of that liquid retaining layer. However, some of them allow more breathability than the others. For instance, polyurethane protectors, especially when combined with the cotton or bamboo top layer, are more breathable than the vinyl ones.
- Design. Mattress protectors can be full encasements or styled like a fitted sheet. If you want protection from bed bugs, an encasement style is the one for you. However, if being waterproof is all you’re expecting from your mattress protector, the fitted sheet type will be more than enough.
- Washing method. Since a mattress cover is supposed to protect the mattress from stains, it will collect all of them, therefore requiring to be washed regularly. If the materials of the cover don’t allow you to use a washing machine, the cleaning process can turn into a real headache.
Polyurethane VS. Vinyl: Which One Is Better?
I think you won’t be surprised when I say that the most popular materials for mattress protectors are vinyl and polyurethane. Both of them have their benefits and drawbacks. Let’s take a look at the most important ones, and, hopefully, this will help you make up your mind:
- Vinyl protectors are super reliable, as this material is rather thick and doesn’t allow any liquid leakage. It is also very effective when it comes to stopping the dust mites and the bed bugs. However, vinyl is a rather loud material, which makes a crinkly noise every time you touch it. It’s also not really breathable, so it might make you sleep hot.
- Polyurethane is thin and noiseless. It is breathable and effectively stops the liquid from leaking. However, being a super thin material, it might allow some leakage after being washed a couple of times.
After testing out more than a dozen of mattress covers, I feel like my mattress has never been more protected. To make you feel the same way, I’m ready to announce the best waterproof protector, which will certainly increase the lifespan of your mattress.
And the most effective one, in my opinion, is the Plushbeds Organic Cotton Mattress Protector. Are you wondering why? It’s simple: this mattress cover is safe to use, has a really pleasant feel, and excellently does its job at protecting the mattress from liquids and stains. With this mattress cover, you don’t have to worry about breakfasts in bed getting out of hand.
Product links on Happysleepyhead are referral. We get a commission on purchases made through our links. More information in my disclosures.