Best Pillow For Neck Painby | Last Updated
Trying to get a perfect 8-hour sleep is such a pain in the… neck.
There is something you can do to sleep better and wake up every morning without feeling that annoying neck stiffness.
Brace yourself, as you’re about to find the solution to your problems. I’ve found 6 best pillows for neck pain that can transform your sleeping experience from unbearable to incredible. Let’s get started!
Best cervical pillows
- Best cervical pillows
- Adjustable Loft-Shredded Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Pillow by Coop Home Goods
- Contour Memory Foam Pillow by Nakital
- Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow by Snuggle-Pedic
- Original Cervical Pillow with Adjustable Neck Support by Customsleeping
- Hypoallergenic Bamboo Memory Foam Contour Pillow by Comfylife
- Sleep Memory Foam Contour Pillow by Cr
- What Causes Neck Pain at Night
- Shape Matters
- Choosing the Filling
|Adjustable Loft-Shredded Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Pillow by Coop Home Goods||Standard||Filling: shredded visco elastic memory foam;|
Cover: 60% polyester + 40% bamboo rayon.
|Standard – 3 pounds, queen – 3.5 pounds, king – 4.5 pounds.||Standard – 20 x 26 inches, queen – 20 x 30 inches, king – 20 x 36 inches.|| |
|Contour Memory Foam Pillow by Nakital||Contoured||Filling: memory foam;|
Cover: polyester + cotton.
|0.3 pounds||20 x 12 x 3.9 inches.|| |
|Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow by Snuggle-Pedic||Standard||Filling: shredded memory foam;|
Cover: 43% bamboo viscose + 56.4% polyester + 0.6% lycra.
|Standard – 2.2 pounds, queen – 4.3 pounds, king – 5.2 pounds.||Standard – 16.8 x 5.3 x 5.1 inches, queen – 17.8 x 6.7 x 6.2 inches, king – 16.8 x 7.2 x 6.8 inches.|| |
|Original Cervical Pillow with Adjustable Neck Support by Customsleeping||Cervical||Filling: the proprietary Gel Memory-Cluster Fiber filling;|
Cover: 100% cotton.
|Queen – 2.6 pounds, king – 3.4 pounds.||Queen – 25 x 17 x 5 inches, king – 33 x 17 x 5 inches.|| |
|Hypoallergenic Bamboo Memory Foam Contour Pillow by Comfylife||Contoured||Filling: memory foam;|
|Standard – 1.5 pounds, queen – 3 pounds, king – 3.8 pounds.||Standard – 20 x 12 inches, queen – 22 x 14 inches, king – 24 x 16 inches.|| |
|Sleep Memory Foam Contour Pillow by Cr||Contoured||Filling: gel-infused memory foam;|
Cover: 65% polyester + 35% tencel, jersey on the inside.
|2.6 pounds.||24 x 16 x 4.3/3.5 inches.|| |
Adjustable Loft-Shredded Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Pillow by Coop Home Goods
If you’re wondering why this model can be called the best pillow for neck pain, I will explain. The answer is simple: it is comfortable and super easy to adjust to almost any sleeper’s needs.
Here’s what you need to know about this pillow:
- It comes in three different sizes (standard, queen, and king), which allow more adjustability and give you a chance to find your perfect pillow.
- It is filled with shredded memory foam, which is hypoallergenic and CertiPUR-US certified.
- The cover is made of the combination of polyester and bamboo rayon for more breathability.
You can adjust the pillow thickness by adding or removing the filling thanks to the zip in the cover.
“Neck pain after sleep can cause headaches and even migraines. That’s why buying and sleeping on a comfortable pillow is so important.”
Look, no one is perfect. Neither is this pillow. But my experience sleeping on it was superb, and I’m sure you will enjoy it as well. It is comfortably supportive and can be adjusted to anyone’s preferences.
Contour Memory Foam Pillow by Nakital
Another contestant for the right to be called the best cervical pillow is this Contoured Memory Foam Chiropractic Pillow by Nakital. It is great for neck pain and stiffness and this pillow feels super comfortable and keeps your spine and neck aligned properly. What else is there to wish for?
Here are its main features:
- It is made of high-quality memory foam, which adjusts to your head and neck and supports them all through the night.
- The wave shape helps you feel comfortable in different sleeping positions, both on the back and on the side.
It is medium-firm and medium-dense, which is suitable for the majority of users.
“Using an uncomfortable pillow can prevent you from falling asleep, but that’s not the worst thing you might experience. An unsuitable for your body or simply low-quality pillow can cause you constant (sometimes severe) neck pain.”
Overall, I am satisfied with this top rated cervical pillow. It is soft and squishy but offers enough support for you to completely relax your neck muscles.
Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow by Snuggle-Pedic
Want to know why this model can be called the best neck support pillow? I will tell you: it is breathable, adjustable, and simply comfortable
Let’s take a look at its characteristics:
- The pillow comes in three different sizes – standard, queen, and king.
- It features a zipper removable cover, which allows you to remove or add filling to adjust the thickness to your preferences.
- It is filled with shredded memory foam, which is supportive and cradling.
- The foam is hypoallergenic and CertiPUR-US certified, which means it doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
The company offers a 90-day money back guarantee.
I must admit: with this pillow, I slept like a baby. And I felt zero neck stiffness in the morning. What else is there to say?
Original Cervical Pillow with Adjustable Neck Support by Customsleeping
Now, this is what I call the best pain-relief pillow (well, at least one of the best). It can offer you everything you need for a good night’s sleep.
Let’s take a look at its main features:
- The filling is made of the company’s special proprietary Gel Memory-Cluster Fiber Fill, which is soft and machine washable.
- You can pick between two firmness options: Ideal Comfort and Firm.
- The pillow comes in two sizes: queen and king.
- It features four different support zones: the middle neck support zone for back sleepers, two neck support areas for side sleepers, and the head rest section.
- There is an adjustable pouch in the middle, which you can pull out to adjust the firmness in all of the support zones.
The company offers the 30-night risk-free trial.
Here’s the deal: this pillow is something extra. And even though it might require you to spend some time adjusting it, I’m sure it will be worth it.
Hypoallergenic Bamboo Memory Foam Contour Pillow by Comfylife
Let me introduce you to another contestant to be called the best pillow for neck pain. This model deserves to be on this list for a number of reasons: it is comfortably firm, supportive, and keeps its shape all through the night.
Here are its main characteristics:
- It features a wave design to support and to cradle the neck more effectively.
- The filling is 100% memory foam, which is supportive but doesn’t feel too firm.
- The cover is made from bamboo, which is great for breathability and temperature regulation.
- The company offers the no-questions-asked money back guarantee.
“The pillow you choose should also be suitable for your sleeping position. For instance, back sleepers need a thinner pillow, as it will allow the spine and neck to stay aligned during the night. Side sleepers should go with a thicker and a firmer pillow, as it has to fill in the space between the ear and the shoulder in order to cradle the neck properly.”
To tell you the truth, I was a bit skeptical about this top-rated cervical pillow before trying it out. All the praising reviews seemed to be too good to be true. However, I am now another fan of this pillow.
Sleep Memory Foam Contour Pillow by Cr
Want to know why this model can be called the best cervical pillow? It’s simple: this pillow is comfortable and supportive, which is everything you need in order to get rid of that annoying stiffness in the neck.
Let’s look at its main features:
- It features the contouring wave design, which is suitable for multiple sleeping positions.
- The pillow is medium firm and provides enough support and cradling.
The filling is the gel-infused memory foam, which is safe and CertiPUR-US certified.
I had a great experience using this pillow. It helped me relax, reduced the neck pain, comfortably cradled the head, and provided nice contouring.
What Causes Neck Pain at Night
The reasons behind neck pain might be obvious: arthritis, old (and new) injuries, surgeries, and other health conditions. But what if you’re perfectly healthy and still wake up every day with a sore neck? The cause for your neck pain might be so simple that you won’t even have to go to the doctor’s to figure it out. Just consider these factors:
- Sleeping on the wrong pillow. This bedroom item is what directly influences your neck condition. It is supposed to keep it in a neutral position, without making your head fall back or bend upwards.
- Sleeping on your stomach. It might feel great and super comfortable, but this sleeping position doesn’t do any good for your neck. When lying on the stomach, you have to turn your head to the side, twisting the neck and creating an unnecessary pressure and an unhealthy position for it. It’s hard, but consider changing this sleeping habit. Your neck will thank you for that.
Sleeping on a bad mattress. Let’s face it: a mattress is as important as the other factors. If it’s old, unsupportive, and saggy, it can give you nothing but health issues. Consider investing in a new mattress if yours is too old or doesn’t feel as comfortable as it used to, and save yourself from hurting all over, not just in your neck.
Choosing the appropriate pillow shape is essential when you suffer from regular pain and stiffness. And the market has quite a lot to offer, but these are the most common designs:
- Regular. The traditional rectangular shape is the classics. It is suitable for any sleeping position and even for people with health issues, as long as the pillow is high-quality and supportive.
- Cervical. This shape might remind you of a cat bed: a hollow in the center for the head and the raised edges for the neck support. This pillow type is often recommended by chiropractors for the neck pain and some spine issues.
- Contoured. These pillows are also great for neck stiffness, as they have raised edges for the neck support and the recess for the head.
- Bolster. These are cylindrical pillows, which are more popular among those people who need an extra pillow for their legs or arms. However, some enjoy using a smaller bolster pillow instead of the regular one, as those pillows are able to provide great support for the neck.
“The size of your pillow should depend on your height and weight. It is better for larger sleepers to go with thicker and wider pillows, as they are able to support heavier users.”
Choosing the Filling
When looking for the best pillow for neck pain, the filling is another important criterion you have to consider. Let’s take a look at the most popular types of filling:
- Memory foam, which is great at providing excellent head and neck support.
- Feather, which is soft and natural but doesn’t really offer enough support.
- Synthetic fibers, which are suitable for all sleeping positions and can be very comfortable.
- Latex, which is very bouncy and supportive but doesn’t offer any adjustment options.
Cotton, which is natural and can provide a decent level of support but might get too lumpy with time.
I’m not going to lie: finding a perfect pillow, especially when you have neck issues, is not easy. But I went on this quest to make this task a bit easier for you, and now I’m ready to announce the results. The pillow that impressed me the most was the Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow by Snuggle-Pedic. It felt the most comfortable, no matter in what position I was sleeping. I couldn’t feel the shredded foam as it cradled my head and neck and helped me relax completely. So, I’m sure you are going to love this pillow as much as I did. Sleep tight!
Product links on Happysleepyhead are referral. We get a commission on purchases made through our links. More information in my disclosures.